HIPAA Privacy Rule Refresher 101
We recently presented a brief review of the Privacy Rule provision of the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to the Arlington County Medical Society that meets at Virginia Hospital Center which is just outside of Washington, DC.
Physicians, Practice administrators and office managers came to our HIPAA Compliance training refresher class.
It is important to review the privacy procedures and policies that your practice has in place on an annual basis and ensure that the HIPAA guidelines are adhered to.
- What is the HIPAA Privacy Rule and how does it affect practices?
- Definition of Protected Health Information (PHI)
- Rules of Use and Disclosure of PHI and examples
- Notice of Policy Practices and administrative requirements (policy manual, Privacy/Security Officer)
- Tips on De-identification
- Enforcement and Compliance
Below is the slide presentation given at the meeting. The slides are detailed so you will get a lot of information from this sideshow. We also included references so that you can do your own research on HIPAA and the Privacy Rule.